Friday 22 June 2012

Keeping Cosy!!

Well, here is what I've been up to today.  The rain was whipping round the caravan and inside my shed it was a bit dark and gloomy (not to mention cold!).  But inside the caravan it was nice and cosy and with Royal Ascot on the telly, I spent a happy afternoon finishing off the stitching in these little leather notebooks whilst keeping an eye on the Ascot fashion and listening to my other half muttering behind his racing paper.  I made these two little keyrings with some scraps of leather lacing too.  I like adding them to people's parcels as a little 'thank you' freebie and they are fun to make. Not a bad way to spend a rainy afternoon at all!

I've been tweaking my Etsy shop in preparation for reopening and I want to take all my newly made stock outside and photograph it as soon as the weather allows.  I tried making a lightbox out of an old cardboard box last week and I think it will be useful, especially during the Winter when it's a struggle to find good light to photograph in.

I think it's safe to show you this.  It's a 30th birthday present for a friend who is very girly and likes pretty, feminine things (unlike her friend who is a total tomboy and likes crawling under hedges, looking for bugs and working with leather!).  She has mentioned in the past that she would love a notebook with a beautiful lady on the front, so I thought I would give it a go.

My attempts at drawing beautiful ladies was pitiful, but luckily, my eldest DD loves art and is pretty good at Manga-style drawings, so I paid her a wee sum to do the design for me.  Here was the result -
Once we'd got the sizing right, I just traced the image onto the raw leather and carved out the design with my little swivel knife.
I put an inscription inside as well because you don't turn thirty every day do you!  It was a looonngg time ago that I turned thirty, it makes me feel kind of old just thinking about it!!



3 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous birthday gift.

    My 'freebie' is attached to my car key. It's great for finding it in the bottom of my bag and lovely to stroke while waiting at the school gate ;o)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so pretty, what a lovely bday pressie, lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely gift. Something to treasure forever xx

    ReplyDelete